Happy 2012 everybody! I hope you had a great New Years Eve, however you chose to spend it. New Years has never been one of my favorite holidays, although there have been some memorable parties over the years. There was the year my family visited some family friends in Dallas and stayed in a hotel. The husband was general manager of a well known hotel chain (which shall remain nameless), so the adults went to a party while the kids stayed in the room and had a very good time. Let’s just say the maid deserved a very big tip for cleaning that room after we checked out!
Two years ago, we spent New Years Eve in an airport on our way back from a family vacation to Jamaica. That was definitely a different way to spend the holiday. And last year we spent New Years Eve in Aruba! That was a lot of fun, until I tripped in the dark on the walk back to the hotel and badly sprained my ankle not once but twice. Ouch >.< Thankfully, my ankle recovered enough for me to make my way through the airport the next morning, but we were worried for awhile there when I first woke up and couldn’t walk at all.
This year my family decided to have a party at home. My brother’s girlfriend was here, as I mentioned previously, and two couples who are friends of my parents and are tons of fun joined us as well. I think it was my favorite New Years Eve yet! I took over a 100 photos! But as usual, most got deleted. Here are some of the best ones:
Boy was 2011 an eventful year! Here are some pictures and highlights from my life this past year
- I got an internship with a congressman Monday through Friday and got course credit for it as well. I loved every minute of it and learned so much
- I turned 24. Eek!
- I finished the Spring semester with my best grades yet and made the Dean’s list for the first time (What can I say? I’m a late bloomer!), despite taking 15 credit hours, interning for the congressman, and working my regular job on weekends
- I visited Washington DC for the first time, not as a tourist but as a congressional intern! I met Mike Pence, saw John Boehner and Donald Rumsfeld, heard Colin Powell speak, and learned so much about myself
- I spent the 4th of July weekend in New Jersey with my best friend. I finally got to meet her fiancee and got to see Samantha more than once in one calendar year!
- I got to visit my bestie in New Jersey and meet the other Bridesmaids
- My mom turned 50 and celebrated with a big party for family and friends followed by a girl’s only weekend in Chicago to celebrate!
- I started my senior year of college (finally!) and my toughest semester yet with 18 hours again and my senior thesis
- We posted our first blog entry on September 1st!
- I finished and turned in my thesis!
- I made the Dean’s List again
- I Had a fabulous Christmas
It was also a year of an absurd amount of clumsiness on my part! While in DC, I dropped a clothing iron face down on my thigh and a week later I spilled boiling hot coffee all down my side. Then, while I was visiting Samantha in New Jersey, we went into NYC for dinner and shopping one night. I injured my toe while walking around and ended up losing the nail a few weeks later. I then needed two minor surgies on my toe because big toe nails almost never grow back in properly once they’ve been lost. LOL. I am SUCH a klutz!
And of course, a lot of other (good) things happened to my family as well. Without going into too much detail: My mom finally got to go to Europe (with my dad of course) and decided to start learning Italian, my dad started a new job that he really loves, and my brother took the MCAT and started dating the aforementioned girlfriend whom we all love 🙂 2012 has big shoes to fill, but I have a feeling it’s going to be even better than 2011. My brother, his girlfriend, and I and I will all be graduating in May. And I have some really big news that I can’t share quite yet. But stay tuned! Wishing you and yours a wonderful 2012.