No matter how good I get in the kitchen, there will always be days where I have absolutely zero desire to cook. I’m sure even amazing cooks like my mom have days like that (right…right?!). And tonight was one of those nights for me. I briefly considered ordering a pizza, but I’m moving out in less than two weeks and i have a very well stocked fridge, freezer and pantry. So I decided to work with what I had. A jar of spaghetti sauce, a box of spaghetti, a package of whole wheat gnocchi, and a container of ricotta cheese were all calling to me. No, I didn’t eat all of them together! After some brainstorming and consulting my ever creative co-blogger, I came up with a super fast and delicious dinner that used up three of the four ingredients I listed above. It’s slightly faster than spaghetti because gnocchi cooks to perfection in 2 minutes flat, but the real reason I love it is because it’s a nice change of pace. No one wants to make spaghetti every time they’re in a hurry or feeling uninspired in the kitchen. So here’s the super simple recipe. It’s really more of an inspiration than a recipe because a 5 year old could make this…if gnocchi didn’t require use of the stove.
1. 1 package gnocchi
2. 1 jar of your favorite marinara sauce
3. 1 small container ricotta cheese (full fat or part skim, your choice)
1. Boil the gnocchi, this shouldn’t take more than 2 minutes
2. In the microwave or on the stove, warm the marinara sauce
3. Put the gnocchi and sauce in a bowl and stir in spoonfuls of ricotta cheese until it takes on the color of vodka sauce or to taste
P.S. If you don’t have ricotta on hand, I don’t recommend making this recipe. I personally have never tried it, but I’ve heard that gnocchi tastes best with a cream based sauce. Also, try adding spinach! I didn’t have any or I totally would have