I have finally conquered the cupcake.
I used to scoff at the show “Cupcake Wars,” saying, “how hard can it be to make a cupcake?!”
Well it can be extremely difficult, if you make them from scratch. When it comes to baking, I usually get myself a box of cake mix, add the eggs and oil, and POOF instant perfect cakes. I’m no baker, by nature. I feel cooking allows for more leeway and room for error. An overzealous hand with the garlic can take bland chicken to an exotic, zesty dish. However, baking is less forgiving. Too much flour, no baking powder, too much baking soda, over-mixing, under-mixing; there are numerous things that can go wrong.
I was determined to use my new stand mixer and make the best cupcakes. I’m all about icing, but I think the true test of a cupcake is the cake itself. It needs to be succulent (I hate the M word. Rhymes with hoist.) with a good crumble. It should be able to stand alone and be delicious without icing.
So I bought a book. I watched this video.
And I went to work!
Here’s a basic chocolate cupcake recipe, and it is delicious with my Coconut Buttercream Frosting (Trust me, I’ve tried it…several times….QUALITY ASSURANCE, PEOPLE!)
-1 1/3 c all purpose flour
-1/4 tsp baking soda
-2 tsp baking powder
-3/4 c unsweetened cocoa powder
-3 TB butter
-1 1/2 c sugar
-1 tsp vanilla extract
-1 c milk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl cream the butter, sugar and vanilla extract. Add the milk and eggs and stir until combined.
2. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder/soda and mix.
3. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until combined. DO NOT OVERMIX. Take it from me, a chronic overmixer, they will turn out very tough and non cake-like!
4. Line 2 cupcake tins, add the batter to the tins, filling 3/4 of the way. This recipe made me 19 cupcakes…I don’t pour well. If you measure better I’m betting you could get the full 24!
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes
6. Remove and allow to cool on a cooling rack, frost and ENJOY!
These are SO tasty and delicious. They hold up well in the refrigerator, they have a nice crumb and they are succulent (read: M word, rhymes with “hoist”)
What is your favorite cupcake recipe? Have you tried the butterbeer cupcakes?
I feel like I see those butterbeer cupcakes everywhere lately! Especially on Pinterest!
Have a great day!