Happy Monday everyone! No…Not so happy? LOL. Personally, I kind of look forward to Mondays because I work all weekend long and I’d much rather be in class than at work. But that’s just because I hate my job, I’ll definitely be ready to be done with school when I graduate in May.
Anyway…enough rambling. Tonight I have a recipe for you all that’s crazy easy, healthy, and-most importantly- delicious! I haven’t made it in quite awhile, but I was hit with a craving for it today. It’s a recipe I got from my mom and I’m pretty sure she made it up. If you’re craving Italian, this is a great way to satisfy that craving without all the carbs. Also, in addition to minimal prep work, the two main ingredients can be cooked with very little supervision. So you can be working on something else (or reading a good book) while dinner is cooking. Which, in my opinion, is one of the best things about this recipe!
2 bell peppers, sliced (any color)
2 sweet Italian sausage links
1 jar marinara sauce (I used a roasted red pepper and garlic sauce by Prego, but your favorite brand is just fine)
Olive oil, salt, and pepper to taste
Mozzarella cheese (optional)
…Seriously, that’s all you need!
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
2. In a bowl, combine sliced peppers, olive oil, salt, and pepper to taste. Toss the peppers until they’re well coated
3. Spread peppers evenly on a foil covered cookie sheet and roast in the oven. the longer they roast, the sweeter they’ll be. So unless they’re burning (I’ve never had this happen) let them roast until you’re too hungry to wait any longer or the edges start to blacken, whichever comes first.
4. Bring water to boil and boil sausages on high for 20 minutes
5. once sausage is done cooking, slice into strips or coins and set aside
6. Warm the marinara sauce while the peppers are finishing roasting
7. Once everything done, pour marinara sauce over peppers and sausage and top with a little mozzarella cheese if desired (FYI, this dish won’t be quite as healthy if you use a ton of cheese).